- Attend classes, even if it is not compulsory ! You’ll have plenty of freedom, don’t abuse it !
- University is very challenging : you have to think critically, not to learn formulas !
- practice your English before you go to University
- find a balance between your large workload and your social life. Study hard, as almost one third of the students fail their first year (and lose their bursaries, if they’ve got one)
- resist peer pressure, avoid cheap alcohol... Girls, watch out : boys will be all over you and quite a few students get pregnant in fist year.
- Try to get some professional experience during your holiday in your field of study, by doing even unpaid work : it’s good for your CV and will help you to build contacts
Have a look at the Mail and guardian website (http://matric.mg.co.za/the-survivors-guide-to-first-year)...lots of good tips how to survive Varsity !