In South Africa, there are 3 types of universities

Academic Universities (Wits, University of Pretoria, etc.) offer only degrees- Bachelor of Arts (BA), Bachelor of Science (BSc), Bachelor of Commerce (BCom),etc. 

It is a 3 or 4 years programme which allows you to do postgraduate studies (Honors, Masters and Doctoral degrees)You have more chance to get admitted in Universities outside of Gauteng, than  Pretoria and Wits.

Universities of Technology (TUT, Vaal, etc) offer National diploma (N Dip), done in 2 to 3 years. It is more practical. 

For example, should you study a National Diploma in Hospitality Management you will have the option of becoming a Hotel Manager, Food and Beverage Manager or Executive Chef. You must work in an company for at least six months during your third year.

      Sometimes it is better to study a diploma than a degree. For instance, doing a BSC in biochemestry at UJ qualifies you for becoming a sales representative for a drug firm or a large pharmacy.  To register with a professional body, you need to do a Honors degree but there only about 10 places per year ! Biochemestry at TUT and university of technology level offers much more practical learnring and better chane to get a job

The University of Johannesburg (www.uj.ac.za) is a combined academic University and a University of technology. It offers both diplomas, "technology degrees" (Btech) and degrees. The Btech in Engineering  (4 years) includes a six months internship in 3rd year.

 Distance-learning studies at the University of South Africa (www.unisa.ac.za):

 You need to be very disciplined to study at home. It also can be quite lonely as you don't meet other students as easily. However, the material is easy for students to use and you can join study groups.  

 Degree, diploma or certificate? 

To get your Matric (National Senior Certificate), you need a minimum of:

-          30 %  in 3 subjects

-          40 % in 3 subjects, including Vernacular

Your Matric results will tell if you can apply for a bachelor Degree, a Diploma or a Higher certificate.

You need for a:

Bachelor degree  : 30 % in the language of learning (Vernacular) and at least 50 % in 4 subjects ;

Diploma : 30 % in the language of learning  and at least 40 % in 4 subjects ;

Even if you get a "Bachelor" pass, you might not be admitted for a bachelor degree, as there are many more applicants than space available.

How do I calculate my points?

To study at University, learners must meet a minimum level of points called APS (Admission Points Score). To calculate it, one must add all the levels obtained in the 7 subjects, with a specificity for Life Orientation (not included at UJ).

APS calculation :

         80-100 %  =     7 points

        70-79   %  =     6

        60-69   %  =     5

        50-59   %=       4

        40-49    %=      3

        30-39   %=       2

         0-29    %=        1

Example : if you achieved 65 % in First language, you get 5 points. If you achieved 54 %, you get 4 points..

At Wits, you get O points if your marks are below 40 %

You also need a minimum of marks in Math, English and other subjects , depending on the Universities and studies you want to do - check the prospectus of each University.
UJ Open day 

Attend Open days at Universities to get more information

 Check the dates on their website

UJ calendar  (you must first register on UJ website)

or cal the UJ Student Enrollment Centre: 
+27 11 559 4555